Wednesday, February 6, 2013
40 Recipes | # Cheese Enchiladas
Recipe Source: Pinterest : Recipe from Allrecipes
Made : January 27, 2013
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 teaspoons Creole-style seasoning
1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
1 (8 ounce) package Cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
1 onion, diced (small onion)
1 (6 ounce) can sliced ripe olives
1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl combine tomato sauce, tomato paste and Creole-style seasoning.
3. Warm tortillas in microwave, or in oven; dip them in the tomato sauce mixture and lay them in a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
4. Fill each tortilla with cheese, onion, olives and mushrooms; roll. Repeat until dish is full. Sprinkle a small amount of cheese on top.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Thoughts: We did quite a few things differently. First we did not warm the tortillas. Ours were soft and we didn’t feel it was necessary. Since the recipe did not specify, we only dipped one side of the tortilla in the tomato mixture. We also sprayed the casserole dish. We used 8 flour tortillas. Since we had left over tomato mixture, we poured the remaining on top of the rolled tortillas. And we used much more cheese than specified. We used about 3 cups (12oz) of Cheddar cheese on the inside and 1 cup (4oz) of Cheddar cheese on the top.
Verdict: Make again? I thought they were pretty good, but they didn’t have a real enchilada flavor. Dad didn’t like it because the tomato taste was too strong and it was more like pizza sauce than enchilada sauce. I don’t think we will be making this recipe again for this reason, but are still looking for a good enchilada recipe if anyone has one.