Recipe Source: The Parade in the Sunday paper a few months ago.
1 large bunch broccoli trimmed and cut into 4 inch long spears (1 large bag of frozen broccoli heads)
½ stick unsalted butter, diced
5 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
½ cup well chilled heavy cream
3 Tbsp medium dry sherry (we used Sutter Home Pink Miscatto)
Fresh lemon juice
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and sliced thin
1. Cook chicken breast.
2. While chicken is cooking in the oven, cook broccoli until tender. Drain and set aside, covered.
3. Once chicken is cooked, slice thin.
4. In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add broth and bring mixture to a boil. Cook on low, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thick.
5. In a mixing bowl, beat cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, then add to flour mixture, along with sherry and lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Arrange broccoli on a flameproof platter. Top with half the sauce. Stir ¼ cup Parmesan into other half of sauce. Arrange chicken on broccoli, pour remaining sauce over top, and sprinkle mixture with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan.
7. Broil, about 6 inches from heat, for 1 minute or until sauce is golden and bubbling.
6 per serving
Thoughts: The directions from the paper were a little vague so I made them more detailed for me (and you – above.) We like a lot of flavor in our food and though it was a little bland, but if you add some salt and pepper it helps…a lot! We might add more lemon next time. I was a little hesitant and barely put any in. You definitely need more than one person to help make it. (And I don’t think that is because I’m an inexperienced cooker.) Glad mom was there to help!
Verdict: Make again? Yes! We might try to jazz it up next time.