Monday, June 10, 2013
40 Recipes | German Chocolate Cake
Recipe Source: My Grandmother
Made : April 18, 2013
1 package Baker’s GERMAN’s Sweet Chocolate
½ cup boiling water
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 ½ cups sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
1 cup buttermilk
1. Melt chocolate in boiling water. Cool.
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each. Add melted chocolate and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Sift together salt, soda, and flour. Add alternately with buttermilk to chocolate mixture, beating well. Beat until smooth.
4. Pour into three 8 or 9 inch cake layer pans, lined on bottoms with paper. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) 30-40 minutes. Cool. Frost top and side.
1. Combine 1 cup evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, 3 eggs, ¼ pound margarine, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
2. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 12 minutes.
3. Add 1 1/3 cups Baker’s Angel Flake Coconut and 1 cup chopped pecans. Beat until thick enough to spread.
Thoughts: Even though I’ve had this cake many times before (because it was my grandpa’s favorite), I’d never actually made it myself.
Make again? Absolutely, it’s a family favorite.